Background

09 April, 2012

Why Cast Iron?

Cast Iron is a true equalizer of southern heritage. It lives as contentedly in the great antebellum mansions as it does in the trailer out on mama and daddy's land (and every home in between). You would be hard pressed to find a southerner who doesn't own a cast iron cornbread skillet or stand to inherit one someday.

I personally feel a sense of "place" every time I use a piece of my (growing) collection. Many people dear to me have been nourished by these humble pieces of cookware - and that holds me near to my roots. Now my own children often help me make cornbread, and I love the feeling of past, present and future that collides in those moments...

The seasoning of cast iron is what makes it so useful and special. Just like our lives. God uses all of our history and stories and scorches and successes to sculpt something priceless out of an empty vessel. This blog is my way of sharing some of my successes as well as the scorches - and hopefully another person will be inspired or encouraged along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment