Background

19 April, 2012

Lazy-Day Quiche (otherwise known as a baked omelet)

Last week I had wonderful intentions of blogging about all the creative ways I had utilized our leftover Easter ham. Those intentions failed for many reasons. The most important of which is that I did not creatively utilize all of our wonderful leftover Easter ham!

Still, it did not all go to waste. I did freeze the precious bone (and I WILL post soon about making Ham Bone Soup). And the kids did have yummy sandwiches in their lunches for a few days. The one actual meal that I came from the leftover ham almost doesn't deserve to be posted...but then again, maybe it does.

My heart said that I wanted to make a quiche, but I just couldn't bring myself to make a crust. The result? I made a "Lazy-Day Quiche (baked omelet)." It was so quick to throw together, it baked in the oven while I did laundry and got the kids ready for church, and the whole family enjoyed it! This one is a keeper.


 Lazy-Day Quiche


Ingredients:
1/2 cup feta cheese
5 eggs, beaten
2 cups diced, cooked ham
1/2 cup diced onion
6 (ish) spears asparagus, chopped
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 cups half and half (or milk, or cream, or combo)
sprinkling of kosher salt (to "taste")
a few grinds of fresh pepper
1/2 cup shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Sprinkle feta into bottom of lightly greased casserole dish. (I used a 9x9 square, but if you want it thinner, use a larger dish.)
Combine rest of ingredients and pour on top of feta.
Bake for 15 minutes and check. It may need a little more...just make sure that the omelet is "set" (no gooey, runny eggs), but not dried out.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish!!! I'll have to try it...good entry Devin...can't wait for more...jlk :)

    ReplyDelete